About this Machine Embroidery Design:
Make this adorable 3D penguin in the hoop on your embroidery machine! This design comes in multiple sizes so you can make it in the 4x4, 5x7, 6x10, 8x8 and 8x12 size hoops! We designed our in the hoop penguin to have a round 3D head, sweet flipper style arms, sculptured webbed feet, adorable tail and 3D body all made in the hoop! Starla Penguin comes with two face versions so you can made the 3 dimensional beak in the hoop or if you wish for a more simplified stitch out, you can make your penguin with the alternate applique/embroidered beak. The choice is yours! The arms and head are all attached with plastic doll joints for ease of assembly, and then the webbed feet and tail are sewn into the seams on the body in the hoop during construction. The tummy is left as one plain panel so that you can add a name or personalize it to your liking. No sewing machine is required for this in the hoop design. You will need to use a needle and thread to ladder stitch close 6 openings.
4x4 Hoop Makes a 10" Penguin
5x7 Hoop Makes a 10" Penguin
6x10 Hoop Makes a 10" Penguin
8x8 Hoop Makes a 10" Penguin
8x12 Hoop Makes a 10" Penguin
Tear Away Stabilizer (Medium)
Water Soluable Light Weight Topper (Super Solvy by Sulky)
Minky Fabric or Fleece Fabric with a 2 way stretch
3 Plastic Doll Joints
Needle and Thread
Optional: Poly Pellets
Cotton Quilt Batting
Our embroidery machine formats include:
You will receive all the sizes and all of the embroidery machine formats with your purchase, so that if you ever upgrade your machine, or change brands, there is no need to re-purchase past embroidery designs from our website. We give you everything you need regardless or format or size with every design we offer on our website.
Basic applique instructions for our embroidery designs are as follows:
1) All red and black color steps at the beginning of the design are for placing fabric and securing it. The Red lines show you where to place your applique fabric pieces, and the black lines will stitch the fabric in place. For best results, we recommend using a light weight fusible interfacing on the back side of applique fabric pieces used in an embroidery design. An example of this would be heat-n-bond lite.
2) After each fabric piece is stitched down, you will then use small curved scissors to trim very close to the tack down line to remove excess fabric.
3) Repeat this for each piece of fabric in the design.
4) After all the fabric is stitched down, (the red and black lines), you will then begin stitching the edging for the fabric. Depending on the type of design, this could be a lightweight zigzag or it could be the heavy satin stitch edging. Colors are listed on your design help file in the download, but feel free to use whatever color thread you want! Depending on the applique fabric you can use a contrasting thread or a matching thread. This is the beauty of applique. You get to decide the colors of threads. The colors shown in the file are mere suggestions.
5) Typically, but not always, there is sometimes a topstitch added to satin edging to dress it up and add more interest. A design may or may not have the topstitch but this will usually come after a satin stitch edging is stitched on your design.
6) Lastly, you might have some embroidery elements to stitch out, like eyes, mouth, or wording. We combine colors logically so reduce the number of times you will have to change out your thread color. For example, if the design is of a kitty cat, we would combine the inside of the ear with the nose of the cat making them both pink. It is possible, however, to stop your machine after one element and change the thread should you rather have the kitty cat nose be brown, for instance.
We follow this general template for creating our designs so that you are getting all the fabric down at the beginning and can relax and do other things while the majority of the stitching is being done toward the end. We feel this is the most efficient use of your time embroidering.
Because our embroidery designs come in multiple sizes, we do not recommend resizing our designs. Resizing a design can result in unpredictable results. When you resize a design, for example a PES file, and make it smaller, the thread count will not change proportionately. Some machine will try to fit the same number of stitches but now in a smaller footprint which can result in strange jumping, alignment issues, thread breakage, tension issues and needle breaks. The same issues can occur if you make an embroidery design larger. Embroidery designs are not vectorized. They cannot be enlarged or shrunk down and still stitch out in the same quality as was originally digitized. And this is why our embroidery designs come in multiple sizes. We try to do most of the work for you so that you have several sizes to choose from depending on your project but without the work and worry of trying to resize it yourself.
Free Embroidery Designs:
If you would like to try out one of our designs, we offer free embroidery designs on our website and offer free designs on our homepage monthly. Be sure to keep an eye out for these free machine embroidery designs so you can build up your library.
This embroidery design includes a printable sewing help file jpg image that displays the full color step sequence.
Design Size Information:
Please see our product photos for detailed size information on this embroidery design.
Embroidery Formats For this Design:
Our embroidery machine formats include: DST, EXP, HUS, JEF, PES, SEW, VIP, VP3, XXX
You will receive all the sizes and all of the embroidery machine formats with your purchase, so that if you ever upgrade your machine, or change brands, there is no need to re-purchase past embroidery designs from our website.
Resizing Embroidery Designs:
Because our embroidery designs come in multiple sizes, we do not recommend resizing our designs. Resizing a design can result in unpredictable results. They cannot be enlarged or shrunk down and still stitch out in the same quality as was originally digitized. And this is why our embroidery designs come in multiple sizes.